Wednesday, April 17, 2013

First Shots

Ellie had her first set of shots yesterday.
It was not fun.

 
I seriously had so much anxiety and fear walking into the pediatrician's office. I can't stand to hear my sweet girl cry, especially when she's inconsolable, which is exactly what I expected to happen.
 
She got 3 separate shots and one oral vaccine. After some research and talking to other moms, we've decided to go with the normal shot schedule. I know not everyone agrees. Our girl, our choice. :)
 
She didn't like the oral one -  apparently it wasn't nearly as yummy as her tummy
medicine or gripe water. Then came the shots.
The dreaded shots.
 
 
The nurse did all 3 very quickly, but oh. my. gosh. Ellie did not like them one bit.
She started to scream and cry, but then she reached the point of being SO upset that she had that face. The beat red face in which it looked like she was screaming, but there was no sound. No tears.
It was heartbreaking. :(
 
 
 
I immediately held her and tried to nurse her. It took a few minutes to calm her down before she'd take the happy juice, but once she got going she was good. She slept the whole way home and then of course woke up as soon as we got home. Her sleep schedule for the evening and night was a little out of whack. I'm not sure if it was the result of the shots of wonder week 12 (post coming on this soon). Either way, I'm glad it's over!


Ellie's victory cheer

An hour later, you'd never know she'd just gotten them!
 
 Two hours later, she was out.
 
And a HUGE thank you to her amazing daddy who met us there. I'm not sure if it was more for Ellie, or mama support, but it was tough and I we couldn't have done it without him!

Vote! Vote! Vote!
Please and thank you. :)

 
** linking up with the Friday Baby Shower **
 

5 comments:

  1. Those first shots are tough! I ended up nursing Nicholas through his shots (until he started getting teeth!) because he could be consoled quickly that way. Still-those tears! Those faces they make! SO sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love her victory cheer!

    Thanks so much for sharing at The Friday Baby Shower , Alice x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly how you feel! We had our third set yesterday, and unfortunately, they haven't gotten any easier. But yes, a big thank you to daddy's! This last time, the nurse asked me if I wanted to step out.. I can handle being in the room, but I am so thankful that daddy was the one who held our son! Of course, I take him as soon as its over because Mommy always makes everything better : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. As much as we want to spare our precious little ones from getting hurt, vaccinations are important for their health. Parents should be brave for their babies; wipe their tears and comfort them to make the pain go away. Hope that Ellie will grow healthy and happy!

    -Robin Little @ WalkInMedicalClinicVancouver

    ReplyDelete