Friday, April 19, 2013

Wonder Weeks

The Wonder Weeks.
 
Ever heard of these?
Yeah, me either. Until Ellie was about 8 weeks old.
 
Basically, there are certain weeks in a child's life from the time they are about 5 weeks old to 75 weeks that they are a little cray cray off balance. The weeks are calculated based off of due date, not the actually birth date. For example, Ellie is technically 12 weeks today.. (Happy 12 weeks, Baby Girl!). However, according to the wonder weeks, she's been in her twelfth week since Sunday (her due date).
 
So, what are the wonder weeks?
 
There are certain weeks between the fifth and seventy-fifth weeks of life that a mama baby struggles, for lack of a better word. Each of these 10 weeks are characterized by developmental growth spurts a baby goes through. Their little bodies are putting forth so much energy during these milestones that they sort of feel out of it. Hence, the struggle. This short period is said to last anywhere from a few days to six weeks, lasting longer in the later weeks. After this period, there are typically very clear developmental leaps the baby will have made.
 
 
 
With Ellie, her sleep schedule is out of whack. Her eating habits are different. She's fussy and very clingy. I first noticed a change in behavior in what would have been the 8th wonder week. I started doing some research, and sure enough. There was a reason my daughter was taken over by her split personality, Fussy Pants. Looking back, I realized she had been the same way during her 5th wonder week. Still skeptical, I planned on observing her over the coming weeks. Was this really true?
 
Well, we're wrapping up her 12th wonder week and oh. my. gosh. It IS true!! Ellie has had a mind of her own this week. Waking up at sporadic times, very particular eating habits, fussy, and a super mama's girl. This may or may not be the spitting image of Mama and Baby this week. Only this mom looks a whole lot better than Ellie's.
 

So, now I have the 19th week to run and hide from look forward to.
 
There is a book that describes each wonder week and leap, which to be honest, I haven't read. I've simply done my research online. This is what I've learned about the oh, so fabulous wonder week 12 we've experienced this week.
"The World of Smooth Transitions: Baby’s movements become less jerky; She is able to perceive more nuances in her senses; May be quieter than usual; Sleeps poorly; Is clingy; Decreased appetite; Focus on sounds; Help baby grab/reach for objects; Help her feel different textures/fabrics; Extremely fussy and clingy during the “witching hour” (5 – 8 pm); Decreased appetite; Rubs head and ears; Touches knees and legs; Plays with voice and makes new sounds; Blows spit bubbles; Pays more attention to books."
I literally could have said all of the above about my girl this week. Word for word.

Since we've so graciously dealt with wonder week 12 all. week. long. I am very much looking forward to next week. :) Hopefully we'll see a lot more of this (only, add a few lbs..but keep the heels).

 
 
Here are various resources if you'd like to learn more about these long and stressful magical weeks.
 
 Vote! :)
(click, then select the owl on the left)


Linking up with the Friday Baby Shower

4 comments:

  1. I have never heard of these before! I always love preparing myself for the future :) I will no doubt be coming back to this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't heard of them either, but they make SO much sense! Glad you enjoyed it. Now, time to make a baby! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brittany, found you via Alice's Friday Baby Shower. Great post - I'm a huge fan of the Wonder Weeks book but have never gotten round to writing a blog post about it. Glad you have. My daughter is now past the age the book focuses on and understandably, there are still wonder weeks happening. I sometimes feel a little bit lost without that book, wish it could span longer... say, until they're 18! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting post - had never come across this before. Thanks so much for sharing at The Friday Baby Shower, Alice x

    ReplyDelete