Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Breastfeeding

Long before I ever had children I knew I'd want to breastfeed. Then, once I became pregnant and started doing research I learned just how essential breastfeeding would be for my sweet girl. Among the wide range of pros there are to breastfeeding, those that stood out to me were as follows.
 
1. The bond.
There is a very natural and special bond between a mother that breastfeeds and her baby. It's hard to explain, but now that I'm here, I get it. I absolutely love that special time with her, even when it's 4 in the morning and I want nothing more than to catch some more zzz's.
 
2. MANY health benefits.
Breastfeeding has been linked to many health benefits. The colostrum that your body produces the first few days before your milk comes in provides your baby with carbs, proteins, and antibodies specific to your baby's needs that keep your newborn healthy. Due to the exact balance of high nutrients your body makes in order to meet your baby's needs, breastfeeding can protect against many infections, colds, and viruses as well. Breastfeeding leads to a decreased risk of allergies and asthma. There are SO many other health benefits to breastfeeding. Read more about the benefits here or here.
 
3. Convenience.
It's so much easier to whip out a boob than to go make a bottle with the powder, warm it up, yadayadayada. Rather I'm at home or even in public, it's easy and convenient for me to breastfeed. I always use a blanket to cover up, but I personally have no shame or embarrassment when it comes to feeding in public. It's easy. It makes my baby happy. It makes me happy.
 
4. Nurse while sleeping.
Sounds crazy (read: awesome), right? It took some time, but after a bit of practice I've become quite the pro at nursing while laying down. It's SO wonderful. I only do this at night, but she simple sucks while I snooze. Deal.
 
5. It's free.
Who doesn't love something free, especially when it's so incredibly beneficial??! I have no idea what formula costs, but I know it isn't cheap!
 
6. Lose weight.
An exclusively breastfeeding woman burns 500 calories a day when breastfeeding. Coming from a mama that gained 32 pounds while pregnant, I'll take it! You had me at lose weight.
 
That being said, there are cons as well. I'm the only one that can feed her. I need to have pumped milk ready in my absence. My husband doesn't get to feed her or feel the bond as often (he bottle feeds her with pumped milk when I'm gone). If I miss a feeding, I have to pump in order to gain some relief.  That being said, I personally feel the pros FAR outweigh the cons.
 
So, then comes my first breastfeeding experience. I was determined to breastfeed right away, within 15 minutes of delivery. We tried, but Ellie had other plans. She just wasn't ready. We tried again an hour later to no avail. Finally, about two hours after she was born, she was ready. This was the first sign that Ellie simply does things on her own time. Really? A personality already?
Have a baby diva? Check!
 
The first 24 hours or so weren't bad. She was eating for very short periods of time and very frequently. My nipples had yet to decide they weren't a fan, so I loved every minute.
 
Day 2 in the hospital was the first sign of breastfeeding hell. My nipples finally caught on and were quite frankly, not a fan of the abuse. Then began the daily life cycle of my nipples:
 
Get raw and sore.
Start to heal by growing a scab.
Time to nurse the babe.
Babe sucks the scab off.
Massive pain.
Rinse and repeat.
 
So began this life cycle. This cycle repeated for about two, maybe two and half weeks. It was honestly miserable. I had nothing good to say about breastfeeding other than the fact I knew my baby was getting the nutrients she needed.
 
There were times that would hurt more than others. When Ellie would bring to life her inner baby diva, I would struggle more. She had a pretty good latch from the get-go, but she liked to play games as I referred to it. Picture a child bobbing for apples. That's what my child did. With my nipple. She still does this once in a while, but my nipples are use to the abuse so now I simply find it more amusing.
 
I'd be lying if I said there weren't multiple times I wanted to give up. Late night feedings when I had a fussy baby that didn't want to latch on, but would yank an yank at my prized possession was really, really hard to get through. While the pain never went away there were a few things I did to help relieve the fire burning sensation. While everyone woman is different, this was the routine I'd follow that helped me make it through that rough stage.
 
1. Feed baby and pray pray pray for the pain to go away.
 
2. Rub Lanolin all over your nipples. Lanolin does not have to be cleaned off before feeding your baby. I also do not recommend rubbing a half a tube of Lanolin on your boobs, covering them with breast pads, and going to sleep for the night. When you wake up you may or may not have wrinkly and raw nipples similar to what happens to your skin after being in the pool for too long.
Learn from my mistakes, friends.
 
3. If you're at home and able, try your best to remain topless. I know it sounds crazy, but both the lactation consultant at the hospital and my pedi recommended this. Let's be honest, I don't think your husbands will complain either. Those babies need air to dry! Do not trap them inside of a tight bra or top. You can thank me later.
 
4. When guests are coming over or you're going out in public, do not use Lanolin. Instead use Soothies. These gel pads are cold and provide so much relief. I wouldn't recommend any other brand. I once tried Simplisse gel pads and they were awful. They hurt to pull off!
 
5. While this isn't part of the cycle, the number one relief, or motivator if you will, is a good support team. My husband was definitely my rock during this time. He was SO supportive and helpful when I'd cry in pain or want to give up. He never even once suggested switching to formula which I love him for.
 
While my stance on breastfeeding is quite clear, I know that not all moms have the luxury of doing so. While I think it's incredibly important to nurse for at least a couple of weeks to get the initial nutrients from the colostrum and other antibodies, I know some struggle. My biggest piece of advice would be to make sure you have a wonderful support system and stick with it. If a month goes by and it's still not working, at least you know you gave it your all. Don't give up, you can do it! :)

A couple resources I particularly find helpful:

Timeline of a breastfed baby
what to expect throughout each stage of breastfeeding your baby, the benefits, challenges, etc.

La Leche League
a support website where you can find tons of information, ask questions, and find a local LLL meeting with other breastfeeding mamas in your area

Please don't forget to vote for my blog!
Click on the brown box, then cast your vote! :)
 
 
Linking up with The Friday Baby Shower!
 

2 comments:

  1. What a great post - breastfeeding was definitely rubbish for us for the first few months but you're so right that if you possibly can stick it out, it does get so much better.

    Thanks so much for sharing at the Baby Shower, Alice x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for knowing your intention to inform others about the benefits of breastfeeding. Yes, breastfeed comes with ultimate health benefits to the child with weight lose aid. When I breastfeed my baby, I lost 5 kilos of weight without any diet and exercise. baby items

    ReplyDelete