Tuesday, March 12, 2013

IwishIwouldaknown

***TMI Warning: I'm being completely honest in this post. If you're one to get easily grossed out,
freaked out, you are a man, or are not pregnant, I'd suggest skipping this one altogether.***
 
I've done a lot of research.
Before we were pregnant, once I got pregnant, and since having Ellie.
 
I've read countless books, articles, and I may or may not be a blog junkie.
Throughout all my so called research, I've read a lot about being pregnant, labor and delivery, and life at home with a baby. Even then, there are some things I just didn't realize. I didn't realize how hard, intense, or lack thereof things would be.
 
These are the things IwishIwouldakown.
Perhaps I read about them in some instances, but I guess I just didn't truly get it
or fully understand until I experienced it firsthand.
Well, now I know.
 
IwishIwouldaknown about the seriousness of discharge.
I never thought much about this one, although I read it could happen. In all honesty, I don't think all women experience discharge during pregnancy. However, if you get it, be prepared. The amount can be ridiculous and I highly suggest investing in panty liners. In bulk. It's ridiculous.
Costco membership anyone?

IwishIwouldaknown how difficult peeing in a cup could be.
With each prenatal appointment, I was always asked to pee in a cup. Well, folks, when you have 30 pounds of baby ALL up in front, you can't really see down South. Yet, you have to pee in a cup?! Exactly what you're picturing is exactly what happens.
 
IwishIwouldaknown that back labor is no joke.
First of all, much to my dismay, contractions are not like cramps. They are a thousand times worse. I'd always heard back labor was painful, but oh. my. gosh. It was a million times worse than a regular cramp. The morning I went into labor the contractions were painful, but hardly ever reached a minute in length. I for sure thought I was in false labor. However, once they moved around to my back, I knew it was the real deal. There were not words to describe the pain. My contractions were only 30 seconds or so in length, but I just knew. That was our sign and we were on the way to the hospital shortly thereafter.
 
I wishIwouldaknown about pushing.
When you're ready to push, as in push the baby out, you will know. It will feel like a bowling ball is sitting on the inside of your rectal area and you need that bowling ball out..stat. It's intense, but hey! On the bright side of things, at least I knew it was time.

I wishIwouldaknown about postpartum bleeding.
Rather you deliver naturally or via C-section, be prepared for the bleeding. It goes on. and on. and on. Sort of like the energizer bunny. When I say on and on, I'm not talking about a few days. More like a few weeks. At least. Trips to the bathroom take some time, especially with that first week or so. Don't expect to be in and out in a minute. It just doesn't happen. Don't even get me started on the ridiculous pads you have to wear in the meantime.

IwishIwouldaknown breastfeeding is REALLY tough.
I'd heard that it was tough. Women often give up. Now, I truly get it. Those first two weeks or so are brutal. I mean, really, really brutal. I'm not going to sugar coat it for you. They get raw and sensitive. Eventually a scab forms. Your baby sucks the scab off and reopens the battle wound. Rinse and repeat. There are things you can do to help ease the pain, which I'll wrote about here, but be prepared. Nothing completely rids you of the pain for those first two weeks. IF you can get past it though, it's more than worth it. Not only does your baby get all of the nutrients and antibodies from your milk, but it's such an incredible bonding experience. I love that time with my sweet girl and while I wanted to give up on more than one occasion, I am SO, SO glad that I pushed through.
 
IwishIwouldaknown life at home with a baby isn't as hard as I expected.
To be completely honest, I think we have an easy baby. By easy baby I mean she cries, she poops, we change an unreasonable amount of diapers, she gets fussy, she's demanding, and she wakes me up at night. I consider all of that normal, hence, the easy baby part. That being said, I got so many comments while pregnant, "Get ready to never sleep!" "Your life is over as you know it." and other variances of these phrases. In reality, it isn't that bad!! I get at least 6-7 hours of sleep at night and while it may not be consecutive, it's plenty to function the next day. I still do all sorts of things: I still see my friends, I go shopping, I run errands, and I can keep my house clean. I still shower too, gasp! I was honestly expecting the worst with a newborn and you know what I got? The best. I love my sweet girl and she makes being a new mom wonderful and easy. **knock on wood**
 
IwishIwouldaknown I'd miss aspects of my "old life."
Now, don't misinterpret this as contradicting to IwishIwouldaknown # 4. Motherhood and life with my new little family is absolutely amazing. I wouldn't trade it for the world. However, when things like spring break are upon us, I miss the good ol' days we'd all pile in a couple of SUVs and head down to Mexico. JP and I won't go on our annual tropical vacation this summer. I miss happy hours in the sun with this beautiful weather. Those are the sorts of things I miss. Granted, we'll get to do those things again, sometimes with a baby in tow..even if a tropical vacation isn't in our near future. In the meantime though it doesn't hurt to daydream about cocktails by the pool and days spent on the beach.
 
I wishIwouldaknown sneezing, coughing, and laughing would never be the same.
Towards the end of pregnancy, it was essential that my bladder was empty at all times and in particular, before I'd sneeze, cough, or laugh. You just can't control yourself and end up peeing a little. I thought it would go away post partum. Nope. Also, if you have to pee, go pee. Holding it does not work out in your benefit, both before and after baby. Trust me.

IwishIwouldaknown babies poop. A LOT.
Yeah, yeah. Of course babies poop. Duh. I knew she would and I know all babies are different, but oh. my. gosh. This girl poops like it's her job! I think she poops at least 10 times a day, maybe closer to 15 some days. It's ridiculous.
 
So, there you have it. For all of my friends that are pregnant and soon-to-be-mamas, don't say I didn't warn you. Although, keep in mind that every woman, pregnancy, labor/delivery, and baby are different. So, take it for what it's worth - with a grain of salt.

Don't forget to vote for my blog!!
Click on the box, then vote!


Thanks loves.

Linking up with the Friday Baby Shower!
 

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this post! I love your honesty!

    I just had baby #7, so I know all of this too well and can completely relate!

    I’d love for you to join in the link-up that I host on my blog. It’s called My Pregnancy Journal and it’s for all posts related to pregnancy, babies, and motherhood. Link up birth stories, baby milestones, pregnancy updates, or tips and advice.

    Plus, it’s a great place to get and give encouragement and prayer during this season of life.

    Link up is live on Sundays!

    Blessings!

    http://www.myjoyfilledlife.com/search/label/My%20Pregnancy%20Journal%20Link-Up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Lots of useful stuff here for first-time moms to consider, even if they end up not experiencing it as much themselves.

    For the discharge, if you're ever pregnant again, you might try reusable flannel pantyliners. Basically they're just an extra layer of underwear. I use larger cloth pads for my period and postpartum as well, for the comfort and environmental benefits and money savings, but they are more work to care for because you're rinsing out blood. With the liners, you just wash them along with your underwear, and they're good as new! I love them. newmoonpads.com makes really high quality ones in your choice of cute prints!

    ReplyDelete