Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Chalkboard: A How To

I've had quite a few people ask me questions about my weekly chalkboard posts.
So, I've decided to answer a few of those questions.
 
Before I get started, let me address a few things:
 
I was in no way shape or form the originator, but I have no problem giving credit where it is due. I got the idea from Little Baby Garvin a couple of years ago. It's since become this huge pregnancy phenomenon in the blogging community.
 
I've read that some think it's overdone. My response with that, and many other unsolicited advice or opinions you get being a mother, I.don't.care. what you think. When I look back at my pregnancy photos in 30 years, I'm not going to think about how everyone and their mom used the chalkboard idea. I'm going to cherish my photos.
 
Now that we've addressed those topics, let me answer some questions I've received.
 
How did I make the chalkboard?
 
With Ellie I went the whole 9 yards. I bought a fancy frame and paint from Michael's. I painted the trim white and the glass with a few layers of chalkboard paint. It worked great for a few weeks, then I'd have to repaint the glass. This went on my entire pregnancy and it was such a pain. Although I do love those photos and they can be found, here.
 
This time around, I got a little smarter. Isn't that what second pregnancies are for? ;) I bought an already made chalkboard for $10 at Michael's and loaded the trim with gold glitter to make it look a bit fancier. It's really not as nice looking as my first board, but it's bigger and SO much easier to work with each week. Plus, I'll NEVER have to paint it! SOLD.
 
What kind of materials do I use each week?
 
Last time I stuck with good ol' Crayola chalk. This time I do about half my work in Crayola chalk and the other half with these chalkboard markers. The markers are really great for handwriting, but not for drawing and coloring.
 
How do I come up with ideas?
 
With Ellie I liked including the fruit size and various details of what would go on that week. This time, I'm trying to be more simple. I don't want to do the exact same thing and with some things in life, I've learned that less is more.
 
Do I use a computer program?
 
Nope. Everything is 100% freehand drawing/writing.
Though I suppose I do get the facts I post from various internet resources.
 
How do I come up with my handwriting ideas?
 
I think it just takes practice. I usually practice writing on a piece of paper first. It honestly doesn't look that great when I first put the words onto paper. I add to it - making thicker lines, adding designs, doodling all over the words if you will. I erase until I come up with a rough sketch of what I like. I usually spend no more than 5 minutes or so working on a sketch.
 
I will say that my teaching background has helped me in this department. I'm use to using all sorts of fonts creating projects and teaching resources. So, I'm sure some of my ideas technically stem from things I've seen/used over the years.
 
How long does it take?
 
Each board, depending on how much wording and (hardly) detailed the picture is will depend on the time commitment. I'd say it takes me on average 20 minutes to do the actual board.
 
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you may have, but I think I've addressed the ones I'm asked most often. Feel free to leave a comment if you have more. :)

http://www.topbabyblogs.com/cgi-bin/topblogs/in.cgi?id=bfaith

 

No comments:

Post a Comment