Sunday, September 23, 2012

twenty-three :)

Baby Girl is 23 weeks! 

One of the biggest changes this week is that she can hear everything going on around her. While she's been able to hear sounds for quite some time, her ears are more developed. This means many things. She can truly hear everyone's voices. :) I need to get a better grasp at controlling my road rage. She's already accustomed to daddy's extreme happiness (and/or anger) on football Sundays and Mondays. Her tiny ears are sensitive to sudden and loud noises, meaning I can no longer yell at the dogs. Which leads me to my next big point, the dog barking. I've been a little worried about how Lily and Lola's barking will affect Baby Girl's sleeping schedule. However, since she's getting so used to it in utero, it likely won't even phase her after birth. HUGE relief!

She's also developing more and more blood vessels in her lungs, which are preparing her for breathing in the outside world. This is a really big deal because technically, in a worst case scenario type situation, if a baby is born as early as 24 weeks, with a lot of medical support, it is possible for them to survive. Those developing lungs are a big piece to this. I'm definitely not a pessimist, but I will certainly feel a sense of relief when we reach that 24 week mark!

How far along? 23 weeks
Baby's size? a grapefruit
Total weight gain: 12 pounds
Maternity clothes? While I still wear a lot of my non-maternity clothing, I find my maternity clothing sneaking into my wardrobe more and more.
Sleep: Some nights are better than others, but overall, it's not so great. I definitely just ordered the Boppy pillow. While I was tempted to get the full body pillow, I was worried it would take over our entire Cali King bed. So, I opted for this one instead.
Best moment this past week: This weekend in general was so wonderful. I had a lot of time to do absolutely nothing, which was very much needed. I've been super stressed out this past week or so and I really needed some time to mentally and physically relax.
Miss Anything? SUSHI! I'd seriously give my left big toe (especially because it's giving me SO many problems lately) to have a yummy raw salmon roll loaded with all kinds of goodness - avocado, mango, cream cheese, cucumber, tempura bits, and tons of Sriracha obviously. So, JP and I went to dinner on Friday and we originally planned on going to a sushi restaurant. I'd get a salad, he'd get a couple rolls. I planned on making him believe he needed a roll with (cooked) crab, hence, getting at least a small bit of my craving taken care of. Anyhow, the wait was too long and we would have missed our movie. Perhaps that was my sign to stay far away from sushi? I've already decided, it WILL be my first meal post delivery.
Movement: Baby Girl is still crazy, folks! I had a mini panic attack last week because I thought I hadn't felt her in over 24 hours (perhaps I was just too busy and stressed to notice?). She is constantly on the go, so I really freaked out. Once I realized this and began doing everything in my power to make her move, she started kicking away as if to say, "You're a complete nutcase, relax, I'm perfectly fine mom." Alright Baby Girl, that's all Mama needed to know. :)
Anything making you queasy or sick: chicken!
Labor Signs:  nope
Gender: GIRL!
Symptoms: The neck aches and headaches seem to be less frequent, hallelujah! I've still slacked on making an appointment with a chiropractor. That, along with making an appointment with a podiatrist are my priorities during my prep period tomorrow.
Belly Button in or out? Still just very shallow, wide, and kind of poking out on the inside.
Wedding rings on or off? on
Happy or Moody most of the time: I'm still constantly happy, but this week was really, really rough. I let stress get the best of me and became really overwhelmed. Hopefully the time I spent relaxing this weekend was enough to help me recooperate and make it through two more weeks of work until fall break!

Looking forward to: Our checkup with Dr. Reuss on Tuesday. I never know whether or not he'll do an ultrasound, but it seems like more often than not he does. We don't always get pictures, but he likes to check in on our little girl and hear the heartbeat.
That's fine with me! :)


23 weeks


That's right, friends. We have officially decided on a name for our sweet little girl. 
Eliana Grace.
We absolutely love it!
Her nickname will be Ellie.

No comments:

Post a Comment