Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Great Hospital Debate

WHY?

Why, oh why, are there SO many freaking decisions when it comes to have a baby? I'm not even referring to normal baby topics that I spend a super embarrassing amount of time researching like cloth diaper vs. disposables, the Moby vs. the Ergo, a Chicco car seat vs. Peg Perego, etc. 

I'm talking about the delivery. 

Who knew that you can't just walk into a hospital and have a baby? It's not that easy, unfortunately. There are WAY too many decisions to make. While I try to navigate through the wealth of great (and not so great) information out there, I keep asking myself if I need to compose a legit birth plan. I don't have a million insane requests. There are things I want and don't want during delivery. However, there is one question that has been eating away at me!

Which hospital will I deliver at?

My doctor delivers at two different hospitals, we'll call them A and B for now. Since I obviously don't have any first hand experience at delivery, I'm basing these observations off of my friends that have delivered at both, my personal feelings about each (I've visited friends/newborns at both), and things my doctor has mentioned about each.

HOSPITAL A
30 minutes from our current home (although closer if we move in time)
very large and luxurious
well known
big rooms
30 minutes from my OB's office (and his home)
I'll likely be checked on by the on staff OB if it's a long labor
if I'm induced, it will likely be done by the on staff OB
NICU
takes longer for my OB to get there in an emergency

HOSPITAL B
15 minutes from our current home
very small and more personable 
also a great hospital
small rooms
right next door to my OB's office
my OB can pop over and check on me more frequently
my OB will induce me
no NICU
easy access in an emergency

While I liked the idea of my OB being close to me, I think the fact that Hospital A has the NICU has won me over. In a worst case scenario, I want the best equipment and staff there to help our little girl. There are so many things that can go awry during and after delivery, I don't really want to take the risk. PLUS, if I were at Hospital B and they had to take Ellie to Hospital A's NICU, I'd be stuck at B until they could check me out. That's CLEARLY not going to go over well with me. So, while my OB isn't going to be thrilled with my decision, I've decided that I will definitely give birth at Hospital A.

Uggh. Such a weight off my shoulders!
Now, back to that birth plan....

No comments:

Post a Comment